• Sat. Jun 15th, 2024

Citizen NewsNG

....news at your finger tip


ByCitizen NewsNG

Oct 6, 2020

Beware of that undercooked pork meat or impure water. This was the lesson learnt by a 25-year-old Australian woman, who had complained of constant headaches, for seven years.

One day her headache lasted for more than a week and followed by certain serious symptoms including blurred vision.

It seemed to be an alarming sign to her after which, she was taken to a hospital, where doctors conducted an MRI.

Its report made the doctors believe that the young lady has a tumour in her brain that may be causing the pain.

While they started operating her, the doctors discovered that the cause of the discomfort was a cyst full of tapeworm larvae.

The cyst was removed and the lady did not require any further treatment.

This condition is medically termed as neurocysticercosis.

It is a tapeworm infection of the central nervous system that occurs due to accidental ingestion of the pork tapeworm Taenia solium, or its eggs.

It is a prevalent infection in various countries and a major cause of acquired epilepsy.

A person gets the infection after consuming undercooked food, particularly pork, or water contaminated with tapeworm eggs, or through poor hygiene practices, says the World Health Organisation.

Someone with taeniasis (tapeworm infection within the intestine) can transmit the infection by passing their faeces in water or soil.

Anyone coming in contact with the contaminated water and soil can get the tapeworm infection, which can be life-threatening if not diagnosed and treated on time.

Therefore, the best way to keep this parasitic infection at bay is by maintaining hygiene, preparing meat to safe temperatures, washing your hands perfectly with soap and water before having food, and eating food cooked only in sanitary conditions.

-Culled from India.com


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Solverwp- WordPress Theme and Plugin