Nasir el-Rufai, former governor of Kaduna, has asked Nuhu Ribadu, the national security adviser (NSA), to clarify reports of an alleged procurement of about 10 kilogrammes of thallium sulphate by his office.
In a letter dated January 30 and addressed to Ribadu, el-Rufai said the substance was reportedly sourced from a supplier in Poland.
“I am writing as a concerned citizen to seek clarification and reassurance regarding information available to the political opposition leadership about a procurement of approximately 10 kilograms of Thallium Sulphate by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), reportedly from a supplier in Poland,” he wrote.
El-Rufai noted that thallium salts are “highly toxic and tightly controlled substances” and said it was important, in the interest of public safety and democratic accountability, to confirm certain details.
He requested clarification on the intended purpose and end-use of the imported thallium sulphate.
The former governor also asked for the identity of the supplier and whether the material was imported under an existing chemical or defence permit.
He sought details on the total quantity and specific form or concentration procured, as well as the storage and security arrangements upon arrival.
El-Rufai further requested information on regulatory oversight and coordination with the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), and other relevant public-health and environmental agencies.
He also asked whether any public-health risk assessments or hazard-mitigation plans had been developed, given what he described as the compound’s extreme toxicity.
“I want to stress that this inquiry is made in good faith, solely to ensure that due processes, safety standards, and transparency are observed,” he said.
“Public confidence in the integrity of national institutions is strengthened when potential risks are openly addressed and managed.”
El-Rufai requested a response or a point of contact within the NSA’s office for further engagement.
He copied the correspondence to the director-general of NAFDAC, the director-general of NCDC, and the national chairmen of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
On Friday, el-Rufai alleged that he accessed an intercepted telephone conversation involving Ribadu.
Speaking on Prime Time, an Arise Television programme, the former Kaduna governor said “someone tapped” Ribadu’s phone and that he listened to the NSA allegedly directing security operatives to arrest him.
El-Rufai acknowledged that the act was illegal but claimed that such practices are routinely carried out by the government.
By Jerrywright Ukwu
For Advert, Event Coverage/Press Conference Invite, Story/Article Publication & Other Media Services
Contact Us On WhatsApp
Send Email To: citizennewsng@gmail.com
Visit Citizen NewsNG To Read More Latest And Interesting News Across Nigeria And The World





