- Tinubu Square, formerly Independence Square, is an open space landmark located at Broad Street, Lagos Island, Lagos State, Nigeria.
It used to be called Ita Tinubu in memory of Madam Efunroye Tinubu, a slave trader and business magnate, before it was named Independence Square by leaders of the First Republic and subsequently Tinubu Square.
It was named after Madame Efunroye Osuntinubu Lumosa (c. 1810-1887), popularly known as Madame Tinubu or Tinaboo by the British.
Madam Tinubu was a slave trader, outspoken and fearless, strong woman and a warrior from Egbaland in Abeokuta, present-day Ogun State.
In recognition of her bravery, she was honoured with the chieftaincy title of “Iyalode of Egbaland”.
Tinubu was among those who helped Akintoye to get to the throne as Oba of Lagos. She fought against Dahomey when they were tormenting the Egbas and later left Lagos in 1856 during the reign of Dosunmu.
Madame Tinubu died in 1887 and was given a befitting burial by the Egbas.
After her death in 1887, Ita Tinubu was named after her.
The Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa-led federal government of Nigeria later transformed it into a beautiful landmark and tourist attraction.
Tinubu Square provides a flexible nexus of streets – Broad, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Ali, and Customs – on the island of Lagos, where various commercial activities take place.
Adjacent to the Square is the nation’s former apex bank, the Central Bank of Nigeria, which is still heavily guarded by security forces; different business houses like banks, finance houses, insurance companies, goods distribution outfits and departmental stores.
Also present are churches, the central mosque, government offices, hospitals and sundry traders that line the various streets.
Tinubu Square, by 1890, was the heart of Lagos itself. It was the location of the first court of justice which was replaced in 1918 by the Supreme Court or the Court of the Assizes, which was a magnificent structure.
The Madame Tinubu Square today is iron-fenced with generous openings for tourists to behold the beautiful landscape. By the western strips is a beautiful inscription of the name ‘Tinubu Square,’ sitting on two iron rods backing the bigger fountain.
When one looks at it from the street, several skyscrapers housing various business interests in the Central Business District merged into the island.