• Sat. Mar 2nd, 2024

Citizen NewsNG

....news at your finger tip

Ibadan Explosion Caused By Illegal Miners – Gov. Makinde | Citizen NewsNG

ByCitizen NewsNG

Jan 17, 2024

Governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, has hinted that illegal miners operating in the state are responsible for the Tuesday night’s explosion in Bodija area of the capital city of his state.

The Governor said preliminary investigation revealed that the illegal miners had stored explosive devices in one of the houses which caused the explosion.

In a statement posted on his verified X page (formerly Twitter) in the early hours of Wednesday, the Governor confirmed that two people were killed while 77 were injured and being treated in public and private hospitals around.

Makinde assured residents that the state government will take care of the medical bills of all victims of the blast, and also promised that the government will provide accommodation for those whose houses were affected.

He said, “We visited the scene of the explosion which occurred at about 7.44 pm yesterday, 16 January 2024 in Bodija, Ibadan. This unfortunate incident resulted in death and injury to residents in the vicinity and also affected properties. We have already deployed first responders and all relevant agencies within Oyo State to carry out comprehensive search and rescue operations. These operations will continue throughout the night.

Earth moving equipment, ambulances, emergency lights, and security were deployed to the scene of the incident. The wounded and injured are being treated and moved to public and private hospitals within Ibadan. Medical personnel are on standby at these hospitals to provide all needed assistance to the injured. We have visited UCH to see some of those injured during the incident.

In total, we have 77 injured victims so far, most of whom were treated and discharged and 2 fatalities. May their souls rest in peace and may God give their loved ones the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.

I have directed that the medical bills of all victims be covered by the government. We will also be providing temporary accommodation for those whose houses were affected and ensuring that they are supported to rebuild their lives.

Preliminary investigations by the security agencies revealed that illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija had stored explosive devices there which caused the blast. The investigations are ongoing. All those found culpable for this will be brought to book.

I urge all residents to please call 615 for any emergencies they may be experiencing at this time and to remain calm and stay away from the immediate scene of the incident to allow rescue operations to be carried out without interference.

We are grateful to the first responders, security personnel and all those who are at the scene to assist with the rescue operations as well as the medical personnel taking care of the injured.

Please say a prayer for those who have been affected by this disaster as we continue with the rescue operations.”

By Fasanmi Abiola

For Advert, Event Coverage, Story/Article Publication, Change Of Name & Placement In Newspapers, PR & Other Media Services
Contact Us On: WhatsApp
Send Email To: citizennewsng@gmail.com
Visit Citizen NewsNG To Read More Latest And Interesting News

SHARE ON

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Solverwp- WordPress Theme and Plugin