The Nigeria Police Force has confirmed the arrest of police officer Newton Isokpehi after a viral video showed him threatening to kill anyone who recorded him while on duty. Authorities said disciplinary procedures had already commenced following widespread outrage over the clip.
According to Force spokesperson ACP Anthony Placid, the officer’s conduct was described as “unacceptable, unprofessional, and inconsistent” with the ethics and standards of the force. The police also reiterated that citizens are legally allowed to record officers carrying out their duties, as long as such recordings do not obstruct operations or compromise safety.
The officer had earlier appeared in a now-viral video where he angrily warned that anyone who filmed him while he was armed and on duty could be shot, remarks that sparked condemnation online.
Following the backlash, Isokpehi released an apology video, saying his comments were made out of anger and frustration and did not reflect his true intentions.
Following the public outcry, the command immediately identified and arrested the officer who serves under its command. involved.
In line with the disciplinary standards and ethical code of the Nigeria Police Force, internal disciplinary proceedings have since been activated against the officer. As part of the ongoing investigation, the officer has also been subjected to a drug test to aid the Command in establishing all surrounding circumstances and ensuring a thorough and transparent process.
The Commissioner of Police, Anambra State Command, CP Ikioye Orutugu, strongly condemns the conduct displayed by the Officer in the video and reiterated that the Nigeria Police Force is a disciplined institution that will not condone misconduct, abuse of office, incitement, or any form of unprofessional behaviour capable of undermining public trust and confidence.
The Anambra State Police Command assured Nigerians that the outcome of the disciplinary process will be made public and that any officer found culpable will face appropriate sanctions in accordance with the law and police regulations.
Newsmediang reports that a serving Nigerian police officer identified as Newton Isokpehi has come under intense public criticism after a viral video showed him threatening to shoot anyone who records him while carrying out his official duties.
The controversial video, which surfaced on social media on Wednesday, captured Isokpehi — who claimed to have spent 26 years in the Nigeria Police Force — issuing disturbing threats against members of the public and even senior officers he believed approved the recording of police personnel while on duty.
Speaking in Pidgin English, the officer made a series of graphic statements that have since generated widespread outrage online.
Investigations traced his TikTok account, identified as “Newton isokpehi for life” with the username #actor459, where several videos featuring him in police uniform and other personal content had been uploaded.
Although the specific video at the center of the controversy was later deleted, the account remained active as of the time this report was filed, with previous videos still visible.
In the now-viral clip, Isokpehi warned against anyone attempting to film him while on duty.
“Any day I’m on duty as a police officer, carrying my rifle and doing my job, let somebody come and video me. That oga who gave you people the order to video us, he will go and do your burial,” he said.
He continued by threatening violence against anyone who approached him with a camera.
“I have served in the Nigerian Police Force for twenty-six years in this place where we are suffering. We suffer every single day, every time.”
“If anyone is bold enough, just bring your camera. Watch me properly, bring your camera and come anywhere I am. Come and video me. If you don’t do it right, I will clear everybody down, the whole bus, everybody around. I swear to God, if I don’t do it, let me die,” he added.
The officer also directed strong remarks at any superior officer allegedly encouraging members of the public to film police activities.
“That oga, that police officer who gave the order for people to video policemen on duty, I will deal with you all harshly. You will see serious wahala, you will see problem,” he stated.
During the recording, Isokpehi displayed scars on his arm, which he claimed were gunshot injuries sustained in the line of duty. He argued that police officers endure harsh working conditions and receive inadequate support despite making sacrifices.
“You think I was born like this? This is a gunshot wound,” he said while pointing at his arm.
“We are just working. Monkey dey work, baboon dey chop. My whole body is covered with bullet wounds and gunshot scars. Yet I’m still suffering,” he lamented.
Despite his criticism, the officer acknowledged efforts by the current leadership of the police force, stating that the present Inspector-General of Police had begun addressing unpaid insurance claims and death benefits owed to officers and their families.
“Look at families whose fathers died many years ago. Since this IG assumed office, he has started releasing their insurance and benefits,” he said.
The video, posted with the ironic caption “God bless police,” quickly spread across multiple social media platforms, triggering widespread condemnation from Nigerians who described the comments as dangerous, unprofessional and damaging to the image of the police force.
As of the time of filing this report, the Nigeria Police Force had yet to issue an official statement regarding the incident.
For Advert, Event Coverage/Press Conference Invite, Story/Article Publication & Other Media Services
Contact Us On WhatsApp
Send Email To: citizennewsng@gmail.com
Visit Citizen NewsNG To Read More Latest And Interesting News Across Nigeria And The World.






